The Black Key - Amy Ewing | The Basic Bookworm: The Black Key - Amy Ewing

Friday 4 November 2016

The Black Key - Amy Ewing



Began reading: 27.10.2016
Completed reading: 1.11.2016
Overall rating: 4 stars


Fighting for freedom.
Torn between two loyalties.
Desperate to save her sister.

Violet and the Society of the Black Key are launching an attack on the royalty, and Violet has a crucial role to play. She must lead the surrogates as they infiltrate the Auction and change the Lone City forever.

But Violet's sister, Hazel, is imprisoned in the palace of the Lake. Should Violet abandon her cause and return to the Jewel in order to save her sister?

The Black Key by Amy Ewing is a young adult fiction novel with a combination of genres, such as dystopia, fantasy and romance. It is the third and final book in The Lone City trilogy. I recently purchased this book, and I couldn’t wait any longer to get into it. It was far better than The White Rose, but not as good as The Jewel. I’m sad that this series has come to an end.

Ewing’s writing remains exceptional – this book was well-structured and well-written. There were some great quotes scattered throughout the novel, including:

‘…we all have people we’re willing to sacrifice for’ (p. 48).

I am not a mere surrogate, bought and leashed and paraded around anymore. In the end, the royalty will know that.
And they will fear me (p. 146).

These people are the air I breathe and the blood I bleed. They are my courage. I will not let them down (p. 249).

‘Jealousy is a petty emotion. It pollutes the mind. I makes you rash’ (p. 270).

I have always loved sunrises. There is something hopeful about them (p. 295). This quote is similar to one from The Jewel, which was interesting.

‘Well, there isn’t a House of the Lake anymore. So I’m no one, really.’
‘Don’t ever let me hear you say that again,’ Raven snaps. ‘After all you’ve given up. After everything you’ve done’ (p. 297).

I look at my friends and think about who we all once were, and how far we have come (p. 299).

The plot was interesting, as it was a return to the city we knew from The Jewel. Violet returns to the city as a lady-in-waiting for the House of the Lake, which makes the plot instantly more intense. Will she get caught? There were also a few plot twists here and there, which kept things exciting and unpredictable. I mean, where did Carnelian come from?!

                        

There was a decent amount of romance – not a lot, but enough to make me sigh. I would have liked to see more romance between Raven and Garnet because I ship it! But oh wells. I surprised myself when I found I was sympathising with Carnelian. In The Jewel, I loved to hate on her but I see that the poor girl was just misunderstood. I was hoping that she would find someone by the end of the trilogy, but I’m glad a character remained single, happy and independent.

Another positive from the book was being able to reflect on character development. Quite a few of the characters had developed throughout the series, which was great to see. Going back to Carnelian, she began as a spiteful girl, obedient to her aunt. In this book, we were able to get a sense of how she portrayed in the beginning – through Violet’s eyes – and how she was misunderstood. Another example was Ash – going from an obedient companion to someone who wanted to fight for the Society of the Black Key. Knowing that this trilogy has ended, I feel so proud of the characters and how they have developed.

                     

The character interactions in the novel were stellar! My favourite was the argument that Carnelian and Coral had on the train. In particular, this:

‘You’re a joke, Coral.’
‘At least I’m pretty and happy.’ She responds with a shrug. ‘Maybe if you tried smiling more, someone in this circle will want to marry you’ (p. 176).

The way that Violet, Raven and Lucien spoke to each other – encouraging – made me feel good inside. I just love the way the characters interacted with each other. The conversations emphasised their differences and similarities, which was great.

The only thing that I didn’t really like was that the plot left me with questions. Of course, a bit of mystery is always good but I would have loved to have my questions either answered or hinted at an answer. My questions are: what happened to Larimar and the Count of the Rose? Was Cora angry with Violet, even though she got what she wanted? Also, did Raven and Garnet end up together? Gosh, I really want the answer to that last question, but I suppose Ewing suggested at their relationship.

My favourite character is still Violet Lasting, as she was determined, courageous, compassionate, sweet, charming and talented. She still puts everyone’s needs before her own, and I find that very admirable. Raven is still my second favourite character. She was fierce, and such a badass:

The Countess stumbles back toward the broken window. ‘I am not afraid of you.’
‘’Yes, you are,’ Raven says, her voice as deadly as a snake’s hiss. ‘And you should be’ (p. 263).

As I said, Carnelian was misunderstood until halfway through this novel. I’m still a little unsure about how I feel about her, but I suppose she isn’t evil so that’s something. A particular plot twist left me reeling. Why did this character have to die? They were so sweet and innocent.

                  

My favourite part was when Violet was undercover as a lady-in-waiting. It was a bit of espionage, which made everything suspenseful. I loved it! She risked everything to be there for her sister, demonstrating pure love. I really loved getting to know Coral too, and being about to see the Duchess again. But Violet also risked being discovered whenever she was with Garnet, so it was intense.

Recommendation time! If you like The Handmaiden’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead, and The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes the Luxe series by Anna Godberson, Everlife series by Gena Showalter, and Ruined by Amy Tintera.


My review for The Jewel and The White Rose can be found by clicking on the titles.

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment