Dumplin' - Julie Murphy | The Basic Bookworm: Dumplin' - Julie Murphy

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Dumplin' - Julie Murphy



Began reading: 4.2.2016
Completed reading: 7.2.2016
Overall rating: 4.1 stars


Willowdean Dickson (Dumplin', to her mum) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Really, the criteria is simple. Do you have a body? Put a swimsuit on it.

But life as Willow knows it is about to change, and when this happens she suffers an unaccustomed, and unwelcome, attack of self-doubt. In an effort to take back her confidence, she enters into the local Miss Teen Blue Bonnet beauty pageant.

With starry Texas nights, red candy suckers, Dolly Parton songs and a wildly unforgettable heroine - Dumplin' is guaranteed to steal your heart. And send you out to buy that bikini!

Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy is a contemporary realistic fiction novel, incorporating romance and humour suitable for young adults. I have been eyeing this book in the local Dymocks for a while, and I finally decided to purchase it. I was so glad that I did! I really, really liked this novel!

The novel was well-written, with great use of literary techniques to add depth to the situation. Similarly, there were some awesome, relatable and inspiring quotes throughout the book that I thought I would share, including:

It’s not that I don’t like new people. It’s just that, in general, I do not like new people (p. 30).

All my life I’ve had a body worth commenting on and if living in my skin has taught me anything it’s that if it’s not your body, it’s not yours to comment on. Fat. Skinny. Short. Tall. It doesn’t matter (p. 33).

My first kiss. It’s the fastest thing that lasts forever (p. 52).

‘…you don’t have to win a pageant to wear a crown’ (p. 67).

I don’t get why we call it a crush when it feels like a curse (p. 39).

This thing between us is a roller coaster. The breaks might be out and the tracks might be on fire, but I can’t make myself get off the ride (p. 74).

I think maybe it’s the things we don’t want to talk about that are the things people most want to hear (p. 182).

‘Just ‘cause something’s easy doesn’t make it right.’ He lets the [swing’s] chain go and I kick my feet out into the stars (p. 183).

…no matter who you are, there will always be someone prettier or smarter or thinner. Perfection is nothing more than a phantom shadow we’re all chasing (p. 242).

‘I think you gotta be who you want to be until you feel like you are whoever it is you’re trying to become’ (p. 239).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

I knew the book had a positive message in terms of self-acceptance, which is good. I think that self-acceptance is a growing challenge for people, especially young people, so a book that advocates positive body image is progressive and refreshing. I believe that having a ‘larger’ protagonist emphasises the need for positive body image. It was great to see that Willowdean accepted herself and labelled herself as ‘fat’ so early in the novel. Her confidence was infectious, and I loved it!

                                 

The uniqueness of the plot and characters was another positive in the book. The plot was set in Clover City, Texas, where not a lot of stories are set. Similarly, the beauty pageant and challenges with body image are unique. Each character had individual personalities, which made them memorable.

I found sections of the book to be emotional, especially since I found Willowdean to be so relatable. For example, the separation caused by Willowdean and Ellen’s argument was sad, but also relatable. Similarly, the grief that Willowdean experiences, following Lucy’s death is also tragic and relatable. Such emotional ploys encourage readers to gain a stronger connection with characters and the novel, and it definitely worked on me.

*WARNING: SPOILER* I really liked the hype and excitement of the beauty pageant. It felt that the pageant was the part that I was waiting for through the whole book, so I was excited when it finally began. I would have liked to have known who won the beauty pageant, but I suppose it’s good to leave some mystery.

On the downside, I found the love triangle to be dull. I felt that Mitch was an extra, and was only included in the book to add interest in the shape of a love triangle. Unfortunately, I found Mitch to be sweet but boring, while Bo was always present and egotistical. They both bothered me, and didn’t get me excited for the romance.

My favourite character was Willowdean, as she was the most relatable — confident, slightly sarcastic, hard-working and loyal. I found Millie and Amanda to be super adorable and sweet. I wasn’t expecting these two to play larger roles, but I’m glad they did. I think that they made the book more interesting, and they were incredibly brave.

                     

I compiled a small list of characters that I want to punch in the face. They include Willowdean’s mum, Ellen, Callie, Hannah (at times), and Patrick. I have to rant about Will’s mum. I found her to be ungrateful, rude and conceited. I understand that she and Will aren’t close, but seriously?

                      

My favourite parts of the novel include the beauty pageant and the ending when Will stood up for herself and owned Patrick. I liked the beauty pageant because I was able to gain an insight into pageant life and how Will handled the stressful situation.

Recommendation time! If you like Kissing In America by Margo Robb, A Little Something Different and Signs Point to Yes by Sandy Hall, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell, The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger, and Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot.

Happy reading!


Buy the book



Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment