I am Juliet - Jackie French | The Basic Bookworm: I am Juliet - Jackie French

Tuesday 15 December 2015

I am Juliet - Jackie French



Began reading: 12.12.2015
Completed reading: 13.12.2015
Overall rating: 3.8 stars


Everyone knows the story of Juliet Capulet and her love for Romeo. The star-crossed lovers from the warring Capulet and Montague families of Verona whose love was doomed. But who was this girl Juliet?

Who am I? Only a daughter?
A Capulet, wed to my father's choice?
No! I am the girl who chose her destiny,
whose love outlasts the sun.
I am Juliet.

I am Juliet by Jackie French is a re-telling of the classic Romeo and Juliet, according to Juliet Capulet. This book combines history and romance to create a historical fiction suitable for individuals from the age of ten and up. Personally, I was excited to learn about Juliet’s thoughts on falling for Romeo and his exile; however, I felt that the plot was slightly dull. Jackie French is a renowned author in Australia, and I studied two of her other texts in high school: Hitler’s Daughter and Macbeth and Son — which I really liked.

                    

As I expected, I am Juliet was well-written. Everything was explained in great detail, and a fair amount of literary techniques. There were some great quotes that I have to share, including:

…this book was more valuable than gold. All gold can do is shine. This book of stories took us to a hundred places and a thousand hearts (p. 17).

What was love, except the duty one owed one’s parents and one’s husband? Dreams were just that: shadows of the night (p. 42).

I was not the daughter they had tried to make, like the sugar cups my mother had made for the feast. The sugar cups had dissolved. I had dissolved too. The good daughter had vanished, leaving only me (p. 66).

If this should be the only night of love I had, I would cram a lifetime into every hour (p. 98).

I lifted up Romeo’s dagger. It was warm from his body, the only warmth left of him for me to know. I pressed it to my heart. Romeo, my love, I am the sheath for your dagger now (pp. 164-165).

Each one of you [will weep]. Even you men, sitting straight as broomsticks so your neighbours don’t see your tears. Every day till you are dust, you will remember how you watched a young girl die in front of you, for love (p. 169).

I really enjoyed how the classic story was told from a different point of view, allowing us to see into Juliet’s mind. The book contains the perspectives of two characters: Rob, the young actor who is asked to perform as Juliet for the play’s debut, and that of Juliet Capulet. Juliet’s perspective repeatedly emphasises the traditional gender expectations of that period — daughters were expected to marry, while sons were given freedom to do what they wanted. This continued emphasis through the book quickly became unnecessary — I understand that it was a significant influence in everyday life, but saying it once or twice would have been gotten the message across just as effectively.

                     

Amongst the drama and tension, there was some humour. My favourite part was at Juliet’s betrothal feast to Paris. The couple were given some sugar ornaments, including a knight that resembled Paris, and Paris gave Juliet the ornament. This funny quote accompanied the scene, and made me laugh:

Juliet: ‘I thank you, sir. I will indeed accept your knight.’
Paris: ‘Which part will you eat first?’
I flushed with anger. I hoped he would take it modesty. ‘Why, sir, he is too fine. I will keep him to admire.’
My mother nodded almost imperceptibly at my answer.
‘By your bed?’ He looked around the table, expecting everyone to applaud his wit.
‘Nay, sir, I would not keep him so confined. By the window, so he can look down upon the town.’
And where, hopefully, a sparrow would eat  him before breakfast tomorrow (p. 49).

As there were only two characters, I would have to say that Juliet was the most relatable — headstrong, yet obedient, compassionate and considerate. I also liked Joanette, the youngest of Juliet’s maids (also known as the Joans).

Juliet’s parents were aloof and cruel. The Nurse was irritating. Friar Lawrence was a coward. Paris was a douche. So, it was difficult to really like a particular character.

                                                             

I came to like Rob’s character, or more specifically, his performance at the end of the book. It felt like a great way to add closure to Juliet’s character. It was really sweet! It was definitely loved the ending, so I would say it was my favourite part of the book.

Recommendation time! If you like Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine and Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Romeo + Juliet, Romeo and Juliet (2013), The Borgias, and Reign.

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment