Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard | The Basic Bookworm: Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard

Monday 29 February 2016

Glass Sword - Victoria Aveyard



Began reading: 21.2.2016
Completed reading: 27.2.2016
Overall rating: 4.2 stars


If there's one thing Mare Barrow knows, it's that she's different.

Mare's blood is red, but her unique Silver  ability - the power to control lightning - has turned her into a weapon that the Silver court will do anything to control.

As Mare escapes the clutches of Maven, the prince - and friend - who betrayed her, she discovers something shocking: she is not the only one of her kind.

Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters.

But Mare is treading a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat. Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her for ever?

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard is a young adult novel that encompasses fantasy, science fiction and romance to create an emotional, action-packed sequel to Red Queen. I was lucky when I found this book in my bookshop — I had stumbled across it on its release date, without knowing. I HAD TO HAVE IT! Overall, it lived up to my expectations, and I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure!

The book was well-written, with only a couple of spelling errors. The plot included metaphors and other literary techniques, which was great. Also, the structure was clearly defined, which made me happy. I didn’t expect anything less from Aveyard. Similarly, there were some awesome quotes throughout the novel that I feel I have to share. They include:

Smoke and fire are so familiar to me now that I barely smell it, even when ash begins to fall like snow. We leave our footprints in it. Perhaps they will be the last marks we make (p. 12).

I’m safer than I’ve been in days, surrounded by the people I love most, and yet I’ve never wanted to cry more. For them, I hold back. I curl inward and bleed alone, inside, where no one else can see (p. 43).

Again, I wince, and tears bite my eyes. I want to look back, but I have to walk away, to do what must be done, and forget what must be forgotten (p. 201).

Funny, now that I’m dying, my ghosts decide to leave.
I wish they would come back.
I wish I didn’t have to die alone (p. 237).

If I am a sword, I am a sword made of glass, and I feel myself beginning to shatter (p. 250).

‘No one is born a monster.’ But I wish some people were. It would make it easier to hate them, to kill them, to forget their dead faces (p. 348).

No heart can ever be truly understood. Not even your own (p. 427).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

Aveyard definitely knows how to include plot twists and emotion in her novels. I was left shocked after some particularly unexpected events in this book, and I loved it! It was reiterated numerous times that “anyone can betray anyone”, yet I did not see some of these betrayals coming. Similarly, the deaths of two characters were completely unpredictable, and one in particular left me reeling.

                           

I really loved the inclusion of secondary characters, particularly the recruited newbloods. I think that they added more interest and excitement to the plot, as they had their own reasons for joining the Scarlet Guard and possessed unique abilities. I really hope they return for the next book!

*WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER* Following the death of a certain character, Mare’s behaviour began to transition, and she grew colder and increasingly ruthless. I think this transition made the book more realistic, as such behavioural transitions are common following a significant loss. It also brought out a new side to Mare that readers have not seen before, so it made the plot more interesting.

I just have to add that Aveyard included a thank-you to bloggers in her acknowledgements, and I’d like to thank her in return. It’s not very often that authors acknowledge bloggers, vloggers, etc, but I’m glad that she did. It shows that she is aware of her supporters and appreciates them, which is always nice to know.

                                             

My favourite character remains to be Mare, as she is compassionate, strong, confident, and a badass. She also has her flaws, which adds to her likeability. I liked Cal’s character, but his changing personality was beginning to bother me. I won’t forget that anyone can betray anyone, and I feel that I have to keep an eye on him, haha! As I mentioned previously, I enjoyed the other secondary characters and their abilities. I look forward to seeing how they fare against Maven in the next book.

I was hoping that Mare would finally strike Evangeline dead in this book, but I suppose that is something else that I can anticipate. I would have liked to have read a bit more of her, Elara and Maven, but I’m satisfied with their presence in the novel.

I’m so confused about who Mare should be with! Cal is so sweet and loyal, yet he has constant conflicts with Mare, so I’m beginning to doubt them as a couple. Kilorn is someone that I can see just being friends with Mare, so I don’t think they’d be ok together. As for Maven, I just don’t know. Is he truly evil, or will Mare save him? I JUST DON’T KNOW!

                       

I have a few favourite parts throughout the novel, including moments between Mare and Cal, recruiting newbloods, and the raid at Corros Prison. The moments between Mare and Cal were intense and dramatic, but I really like them together.

The recruitment of newbloods was pretty cool, as it introduced more characters with extraordinary abilities, and some included links to Maven via notes and murders. I found it intense and intriguing.

Finally, I enjoyed the raid at Corros Prison, as I was able to see the team of newbloods in action. Other reasons why I loved this part include: characters from the first book may a return, it spelled the end of a certain villain, and it was filled with emotion. One final reason that I liked this part is because Ara from the first book made a return, and helped Mare. It demonstrated forgiveness and bravery, which was great to see.

Recommendation time! If you like The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury, The Winner’s Curse series by Marie Rutkoski, Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, or Matched series by Ally Condie, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes the X-Men and Harry Potter series.

My review for Red Queen can be found by clicking on the title.

I will also be reviewing the rest of the Red Queen series when the books become available. Keep an eye out for that!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment