Dreamfever - Kit Alloway | The Basic Bookworm: Dreamfever - Kit Alloway

Friday 19 February 2016

Dreamfever - Kit Alloway



Began reading: 15.2.2016
Completed reading: 18.2.2016
Overall rating: 4.1 stars


Feodor is dead. But he isn't gone.

Every night, Josh's dreams are full of his memories - his life, his inventions, and his descent into madness. With her best friend still in a coma, her boyfriend traumatised by his near-death experience, and her abilities as the True Dream Walker nowhere to be found, the temptation to use Feodor's ideas to her own advantage is almost irresistible.

As her grandfather schemes to take control of the dream-walker government, Josh and Will join forces with a deposed princess against him. But they'll need help from both their friends and their enemies to stop Peregrine this time, and ultimately Josh will have to choose between saving the world and saving her relationship with Will.

Dreamfever by Kit Alloway is a young adult novel that consists of genres including fantasy, romance and mystery. I LOVED THIS BOOK! It picked up where Dreamfire concluded, and I wasn’t disappointed!

As always, I expected this book to be well-written, and it delivered. There were a few spelling and grammatical errors, but I can overlook that. Everything was described in great detail, which assisted with picturing the situation. Also, there were some great quotes. Here is an example:

Now that she thought about it, she had no idea why they’d brought Mirren here in the first place. Will had said it was to show her how much Winsor needed her help, but Mirren hadn’t met Winsor before this happened. She couldn’t know that the small, shrunken body in the bed had once been vibrant and beautiful, that the mind that barely registered on an EKG had been clever and sharp-witted, that those eyes clouded by the veil of Death had been capable of seeing through everyone around her.
All Mirren saw was a sick child in a bed. She couldn’t know the friend Winsor had been to Josh or understand all that Winsor had lost (pp. 82-83).

I really, really loved this quote, as it demonstrated that despite what Winsor did to Josh and Ian, Josh still sees her as her best friend — someone who didn’t deserve to be harmed and placed in a nursing home. This quote was really sweet, and I just had to share it.

More quotes from the book can be found here.

Just like in Dreamfire, Alloway utilised humour to lighten the mood. As you may know, I’m a huge fan of humour and I’m glad it was present in this book. For example:

Unfortunately, the shot that had gone wild had hit the dreamer’s foot as he and Will tried to scramble past the Minotaur. ‘I’m hit! I’m hit!’ the little old man cried out. Then, rather comically, he added, ‘Good-bye, cruel world!’ (p. 16).

The next day, Mirren had announced that Davita had given her the go-ahead to admit her real identity to the household. She asked Josh to break the news because she felt that Josh had the highest status of the three people who knew her secret, but almost as soon as she began speaking, Mirren realised she should have asked Will instead.
‘So,’ Josh said without preamble, ‘Nan’s really the lost dream-walker princess. Her name’s Mirren Rousellario, and she’s going to try to beat the Lodestones at the Accordance Conclave.’ Josh stopped to think before adding, ‘Deal with it.’
Laurentius and Kerstel exchanged glances. Deloise’s jaw dropped, then her mouth slowly formed an O. Whim gave Mirren a sceptical look and squinted, as if trying to recognise her. His father, Alex, slid off the couch so he could fall to his knees.
‘No, no, please,’ Mirren said. ‘Not this again.’
‘The Avisharas have always been loyal to the monarchy,’ Alex proclaimed. ‘The safety and protection of our home is yours, my queen.’
‘Thank you,’ Mirren said, because she honestly didn’t know what else to say.
‘Get off the floor,’ Alex’s wife told him. ‘You look like an idiot’ (pp. 90-91).

In comparison to Dreamfire, there was diversity among the characters. Each personality was different, which made the plot more realistic and interesting. Also, the secondary characters made a bigger appearance in this book, which I am grateful for.

The romance in the book was realistic, as nothing was rushed and the couples had their difficulties. Whenever the couples argued, especially Josh and Will, I could imagine the anger and tension that arises from these disagreements. *WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER* Similarly, Mirren and Haley’s romance took a while to develop, which assisted with making the plot more realistic.

The book was well-structured, as each section was easily outlined. I could identify where I was at in the plot, and what I could still expect to happen. Similarly, the plot was interesting. There was a lot of drama, and a few plot twists that I didn’t see coming. I liked the idea of bringing Feodor back, and how he plagued Josh’s nightmares. It made the plot juicier and intense.

                                                    

The only thing that I found to be irritating (aside from Will’s attitude) was the concept of science. Mentioning negative ion generators, copper cages and transmitters just left me confused. This is coming from someone who despises maths and the majority of science. The science left me confused and I couldn’t wait to get past it and back to the rest of the book.

My favourite character is still Josh, as she was responsible, loyal, badass and clever. She was more confident in this book, which was great. I loved that her character’s development made her more confident and influential. I also liked Mirren’s and Feodor’s characters. They made the plot more interesting, especially Feodor’s character. I loved reading about how his character changed as the book progressed.

Just like in Dreamfire, Will really bothered me. I understand that he was traumatised, but I thought that he was on the verge of psychotic towards the end. I worried about him, but really he’s becoming a nuisance. I hope his character gets some help in the next book.

                                                     

*WARNING: SPOILER* I felt so bad for Deloise and Haley. How could Whim betray Deloise like that? The epilogue, where Haley cried, made me want to cry. I just wanted to hug him. But I wonder what will happen between him and Ian, now that he’s in Death. Yet, I’m so glad that Winsor is ok. I’m still suspicious about Feodor, but I’m so glad that he was able to do this for Whim and the others.

My favourite parts of this book include the second prologue and the drama following Will and Whim’s night with the Veil dust. I really liked the second prologue, as it was intense. It was similar to Dreamfire’s epilogue, where Josh was seduced by Feodor. In this prologue, the kiss that they shared was so wrong, but so right. I don’t know why, but there’s just something about a hero or heroine falling for the villain.

                 

I liked the part where everyone gathered in the living room to talk. There was so much drama! Everyone was admitting secrets that were met with mixed emotions. It was so good!

Recommendation time! If you like the Spellcaster series and the Firebird series by Claudia Gray, and The Twixt series by Dawn Metcalf, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Inception, The Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, and the Harry Potter series.

My review for Dreamfire can be found by clicking on the title.


I will also be reviewing the rest of the Dreamfire series when the books become available. Keep an eye out for that!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment