Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard | The Basic Bookworm: Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

Thursday 27 August 2015

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard



Began reading: 22.8.2015
Completed reading: 26.8.2015
Overall rating: 4.6 stars


Mare Barrow is a Red — the inferior commoners to the superior Silver elite. These Silvers have their abilities, or unique superpowers. Plucked from obscurity, Mare is taken into the palace to work for the Silvers and their monarchy. Unfortunate actions caused during a display of superpowers, Mare discovers that she is no just a common Red, but holds powers that could destroy Silvers and their discrimination. Hiding in plain view as a long-lost noble Silver heiress, Mare is forced to play the part flawlessly, but must use this sudden power to her advantage — and for her fellow Reds.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard is a young adult, science fiction novel that contains fantasy and romance to create a dystopian masterpiece. I have been waiting to complete a review on this novel for a VERY long time, and I was not disappointed. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!

                  

The novel was well-written with amazing quotes. Here are some of my favourites:

We are not their equals, though you wouldn’t know it from looking at us. The only thing that serves to distinguish us, outwardly at least, is that Silvers stand tall. Our bodies are bent by work and unanswered hope and the inevitable disappointment with our lot in life (p. 8).

No one notices, no one even cares, when I fade away again. I’m a shadow, and no one remembers shadows (p. 43).

My mom flinches at my harsh voice, like she’s forgotten what I sound like after only three weeks. Strangely, her eyes swim with tears. She’s forgetting you. That’s why she wants you to stay. So she doesn’t forget (p. 155).

Even I’m surprised at how easily the lie comes. One day I might even be able to lie to myself, to trick my mind into thinking I’m happy (p. 166).

I can see him remembering their life together. Flame and shadow. One cannot exist without the other (p. 335).

*WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER* ‘…One day your lies will strangle you, King Maven. My only regret is that I won’t be alive to see it’ (p. 352).

They trained me for this. It’s their own fault. They helped make their own doom (p. 371).

                                                 

The plot is just so good — I’m a massive fan of dystopian novels, such as this one. I love reading about the hierarchies and how one individual can make so much change. It also had juicy plot twists, was action-packed and fast-paced.

Literary techniques were regularly used throughout the book is always great! It gave the situation a deeper understanding and meaning, which I loved. For example, “the fridge crackles in the corner, its old, bleeding battery pulsing like a dying heart” (p. 157).

It was emotional and dramatic, which added depth and kept me turning the page. For example:

*WARNING: SPOILER* *Cal being forced to kill his father* Tears course down his face, steaming against burning-hot skin.
‘It’s not you,’ Tiberias says, his eyes on Cal’s wretched face. He doesn’t bother pleading for his life. ‘I know it’s not you, son. This is not your fault’ (p. 342).

                  

The characters were also very interesting. I loved learning about the different High Houses (noble families) and their different abilities. Each ability had a major influence on each individual’s personality and career, which I really enjoyed.

My favourite character was Mare Barrow, as she is a good role model. She’s responsible, empathetic, and true to herself and those around her. It just really bothered me that Mare placed so much trust in a specific character, despite the numerous times she mentioned how she didn’t trust them. After doubting this character for so long, then being betrayed, she says: “I should’ve known, deep down, not to trust [him] (p. 340). She should’ve seen it coming. Anyway, she’s a kick-ass character, and I love that.

                 

My second favourite character was Cal, aka Prince Tiberias the Seventh. He was so dramatic, protective, caring and responsible:

‘A king should know his people. That’s why I sneak out,’ he murmurs… ‘I like to see how things really are in the kingdom, instead of being told by advisers and diplomats. That’s what a good king should do’ (p. 151).

My favourite parts of the novel would be the arena battles and training sessions, where the Silvers displayed their abilities. I also loved the tensions between Mare and Evangeline. My favourite part from these two:

‘Who has the advantage?’ Instructor Arven asks. ‘Mareena or Evangeline?’
No one raises a hand. Not even Evangeline’s friends. Instead, they stare between us, watching our abilities grow.
Evangeline’s smile fades into a sneer. She’s used to being favoured, to being the one everyone’s afraid of. And now she’s angrier than ever (p. 204).

Recommendation time! If you like The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury, or Naughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes the X-Men and Snow White and the Huntsman.

Happy reading!

Buy the book: http://www.bookdepository.com/Red-Queen-Victoria-Aveyard/9781409150725

Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment