Prince of Shadows - Rachel Caine | The Basic Bookworm: Prince of Shadows - Rachel Caine

Saturday 22 August 2015

Prince of Shadows - Rachel Caine



Began reading: 13.8.2015
Completed reading: 20.8.2015
Overall rating: 4.5 stars


The age-old rivalry between the Houses of Montague and Capulet continues through Benvolio Montague’s perspective — Romeo’s dear cousin. In order to release tension caused by his family’s troubles, Benvolio transforms into the Prince of Shadows to steal from the filthy rich to give to the desperate poor. Risking his life and family’s reputation, Benvolio steals from House Capulet, and stumbles across Juliet’s cousin and Romeo’s obsession, Rosaline Capulet. From the moment they set eyes on each other, the well-known curse that is responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, as well as many others, commences.

Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine is a re-telling of Shakespeare’s classic Romeo and Juliet. It is a combination of young adult, romance and historical fiction that provides an insightful perspective into the classic through another’s eyes.


                     

Firstly, the re-telling of Romeo and Juliet through Benvolio’s eyes is very refreshing. This re-telling begins with Romeo’s infatuation with Rosaline Capulet, and ends with the coming together of both Houses. It was incredibly insightful, and provides an interesting lead-up to the tragic events that we all know from the classic.

From the very first sentence in the novel, I was hooked. “I stood in the dark corner of my enemy’s house, and thought of murder” (p. 9). It’s dark and mysterious nature foreshadows the events that occur throughout the book.

                                          

There was great use of literary techniques throughout the story, which is always great! It gave the situation a deeper understanding and meaning, which I loved. Some examples:

She looked as wrinkled as an apple left too long in a dark corner of the cellar (p. 22).

Her lips were as soft and warm as the petals of a sun-heated rose,  and something rose within me, a thing of fire and feathers, spreading wide wings (p. 401).

        

The characters were described in depth, no matter how insubstantial the character was in the plot. For example, Benvolio’s description of the witch:

…I’d expected some broken old woman, with moles and an evil cast to her eye. As the woman pushed back her hood, I saw before me a lovely, pointed face, clever and calm, framed by thick brown curls only barely managed by carved wooden combs. She looked a little older than I, but not by more than a thin handful of years, and she might have been a modestly placed merchant’s wife or daughter. Her clothing was not fine, but it was well fitted, and clean (p. 273).

There were a few mistakes, where I think Caine mixed up the characters. For example, a family dinner at the House of Montague mentioned Lady Capulet, rather than Lady Montague. Aside from these minor mistakes, the novel was well-written and included many great quotes. For example:

*Benvolio talking to his sister, Veronica* ‘Honest women don’t hide in shadows, Veronica’ (p. 30).

I was the peacemaker, the reasonable calm in the storm (p. 64).

Dead men did not haunt me so much as Rosaline’s smile (p. 127).

Was this love, to betray one’s family, and to defy certain death? To risk the life of the one you adored? It seemed less love to me than a fever, a sickness burning away caution and good sense.
But perhaps I’d never really loved at all (p. 307).

He died this day. All that is good in me died with him (p. 363).

This book was just bursting with emotions! I felt pleasure, anticipation, sadness, grief, fury and love. There were so many feelings!

                  

My favourite character was Rosaline Capulet, as she was responsible, brave, and loved books. Benvolio was definitely my second favourite.

My favourite moments were anything that had Rosaline and Benvolio together because they were just so adorable. If I had to pick one, it would be when the curse settled on Benvolio and Rosaline, following the deaths of Romeo and Juliet. I really adored Benvolio’s first impression of Rosaline: “No one had warned me she was beautiful” (p. 13). Forget Romeo, give me some Benvolio!

                    

I also enjoyed any scenes that involved Benvolio with his family, especially with his mother. These scenes just showed how respectful he was, and how he honoured his family, despite their faults.

The saddest moments for me would be the deaths of Romeo and Juliet, as well as the disintegration of Mercutio’s relationship and how his personality changed after he lost his love.

Recommendation time! If you like Still Star-Crossed by Melinda Taub, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Romeo + Juliet, and The Borgias. Also, check out the Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine.

Happy reading!

Buy the book: http://www.bookdepository.com/Prince-Shadows-Rachel-Caine/9780451414427

Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment