The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski | The Basic Bookworm: The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski

Friday 18 December 2015

The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski



Began reading: 14.12.2015
Completed reading: 17.12.2015
Overall rating: 4.1 stars


WINNING WHAT YOU WANT
MAY COST YOU EVERYTHING
YOU LOVE

As a general's daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. Kestrel has other ideas.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in Arin, a young slave up for auction. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him - and for a sensational price that sets the society gossips talking. It's not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she has paid is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is tale of forbidden love and choices that have the power to change society. This young adult book combines fantasy, romance and dystopian themes to create a story about how one’s beliefs and actions have the power to impact those around you and change the way society operates. I was reading some reviews on Goodreads recently, and I didn’t understand why there were so many negative reviews. I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Firstly, the book was well-written, as it contained a lot of literary techniques and no errors. I especially enjoyed some of the quotes, including:

‘Isn't that what stories do, make real things fake, and fake things real?’ (p. 6).

Her arm went limp when Arin gripped it. She remembered the auctioneer in the pit, in the full heat of summer. This lad can sing, he had said. She remembered the man’s boot on her hand. The fact that the whole city knew her weakness for music. As Arin pulled her from the room, Kestrel thought about how this might be what hurt the most.
That they had used something she loved against her (p. 218).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

While I was reading, I felt that the story was slow-paced, as there was little happening; however, as I read the second half of the novel, I thought that everything that occurred in the first half was a lead-up to or explanation for what would happen in the second half. After I realised this, I began to enjoy the story more. I’m grateful that I stayed focused and interested through the first half; otherwise I wouldn’t have enjoyed the second half at all.

                  

I’m not sure why, but before I purchased this book, I thought it was an adult romance novel, similar to E. L. James’ Fifty Shades of Grey. I was pleasantly surprised, as it was not raunchy in the least. I would have liked a little bit more romance though. In the novel, Kestrel and Arin share a kiss, and suddenly she’s in love. It seemed a bit unrealistic… I’m not a fan of books with a lot of romance, but in this case, a little more wouldn’t have hurt.

Each character had their unique personalities, which was great! I read on Goodreads that the characters seemed bland, distant and foreign. I think this may have been avoided by describing the characters in more detail. The appearances of characters, for example, were hardly described — only their hair colour, and maybe their eyes or shape of their nose were mentioned. It would have been better to give readers a better idea of the characters’ behaviours and so on. I think this lack of detail may have affected many of the reviews for this novel.

                    

I liked how the story was told from both sides — the aristocracy and those in servitude. This provided readers with an insight into what everyone in the hierarchy thought — what the Herrani thought of the Valorians and vice-versa. It also strengthened the theme of forbidden love, as it emphasised how the social classes reacted to the rumours of Kestrel and Arin.

I wouldn’t say that Kestrel was my favourite character; however, I did find her to be most likeable. She was strategic, compassionate and confidant. In spite of this, I didn’t understand how she could betray her Valorians the way she did. Why help the Herrani, after everything they did to upend her lifestyle and almost kill her friends? On the other hand, I was pleased to read that she came up with a bargain with the emperor, making the social classes slightly more equal.

As I mentioned previously, I would have loved to have known more about the characters, especially Lirah, Jess, Ronan and Sarsine. Also, I wonder if Kestrel and Sarsine become close friends… I doubt it, as Kestrel would be increasing her social standing in the next book.

                   

*WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER* My favourite parts of the book were Kestrel’s duel with Irex, and her engagement to the emperor’s son. I liked Kestrel’s duel because it reminded me of Celaena in Sarah J. Maas’ Throne of Glass series. It also demonstrated Kestrel’s relationship with her father. I enjoyed the engagement section of the novel, as it emphasised how Kestrel valued her fellow Valorians, and strived to improve the lifestyle of the Herrani rebels.

Recommendation time! If you like the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen, the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, Matched series by Ally Condie, and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Countdown by Michelle Rowan, Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr, and Naughts and Crosses by Mallorie Blackman.

I will also be reviewing the rest of the books from The Winner’s Trilogy, including The Winner’s Crime. Keep an eye out for those!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment