The Winner's Crime - Marie Rutkoski | The Basic Bookworm: The Winner's Crime - Marie Rutkoski

Thursday 24 December 2015

The Winner's Crime - Marie Rutkoski



Began reading: 18.12.2015
Completed reading: 22.12.2015
Overall rating: 4.1 stars


FOLLOWING
YOUR HEART
CAN BE A CRIME

A royal wedding should be a celebration, with fireworks and dancing till dawn. But for General's daughter Kestrel, betrothed to the Crown Prince, marriage is a trap.
Just as they fell in love, Arin became her enemy. Kestrel aches to tell him the truth - that her engagement was the price she paid to save his life. But in a world of lies and intrigue, how can she trust him if she doesn't even trust herself? The truth will come out, and when it does, Kestrel and Arin will learn the high cost of their crime...

The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski is the second novel in The Winner’s Trilogy. This young adult book combines fantasy, romance and dystopian themes to create a story about how one’s beliefs and actions have the power to impact other individuals. Personally, I thought that this book was better than the first. I’m looking forward to reading the third and final book of the trilogy!

As with the first book, this novel was well-written with some pretty good quotes throughout. For example:

Arin would trade his heart for a snarled knot of thread if it meant he would never have to see Kestrel again (p. 13).

…as a child, Kestrel had been charmed by the idea of gods. They made for good stories (p. 30).

Verex: ‘Borderlands is a game, not a book.’
Kestrel: ‘Borderlands could be like a book, if one had constantly shifting possibilities for different endings, and for the way characters can veer off course into the unexpected. Borderlands is tricky, too. It tempts a player into thinking she knows the story of her opponent. Take the story of the unexperienced player. The beginner who doesn’t see the traps being set’ (p. 41).

‘If you won’t be my friend, you’ll regret being my enemy’ (p. 44).

Her anger was folding onto itself in as many layers as her ball gown — anger at Arin, at the way he was committing political suicide.
Anger at herself. At her own bare feet and how they were proof — pure, naked, cold proof — of her hope, her very need to see someone that she was supposed to forget (p. 61).

…she hadn’t expected this: this stupid hope, this punishing one, for who would long to see someone who was already lost? What good would it have done?
None (p. 62).

Kestrel: ‘Pressing where you’re not invited seems to be a habit with you.’
Arin: ‘And yours is to put people in their place. But people aren’t gaming pieces. You can’t arrange them to suit yourself’ (p. 109).

‘Kestrel, I know you think that you’ve hidden your heart where no one can see it.’ Verex’s dark eyes held hers. ‘But you need to hide it better’ (p. 279).

‘Sometimes you think you want something,’ Arin told him, ‘when what you need is to let it go’ (p. 308).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

I thought that the plot was well-paced. If you read my review for the previous novel, you would know that I thought the story was slow-paced, but turned out to be great. This novel was well-paced throughout, which I enjoyed. Because of this, I enjoyed the story from start to finish.

                                                  

There was some humour in the book, which kept me interested. For example, Kestrel’s conversation with Jess:

‘I didn’t sleep well last night […]. You snored,’ Kestrel said.
‘I did not.’
‘You did. You snored so loudly that the people in my dreams complained’ (p. 63).

*WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER* This use of humour demonstrated how close the girls were. Unfortunately, their close relationship ended soon after this. I would have liked to have known more about Jess, and see these two interact more, but their ruined friendship also helped keep the plot interesting.

The plot twist in the end was definitely unexpected, and made me weep just a little bit. I won’t say who was involved in this sudden development, but it hurt because the two characters were meant to be so close! All I can say is that HE SHOULDN’T HAVE DONE THAT!! HOW COULD YOU?!

                     

As in the first book, I wouldn’t say that Kestrel was my favourite character; however, I did find her to be most likeable. She was strategic, compassionate and confident. She hasn’t really changed since the first book, especially with betraying those she loves. I just wished she would express her feelings and thoughts better.

As I mentioned previously, I would have loved to have known more about the characters, especially Jess and Risha. I would love to know what Risha thought about her family in the east, and I hope she will make more of an appearance in the next book! I also would have loved to have read more about Sarsine. I’m not sure why, but I think she is an interesting character.

                    

Recommendation time! If you like the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen, the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes the Matched series by Ally Condie, and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

My review for The Winner’s Curse can be found by clicking on the title.

I will also be reviewing the final book of The Winner’s Trilogy, The Winner’s Kiss, when it becomes available next year. Keep an eye out for that!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment