The White Rose - Amy Ewing | The Basic Bookworm: The White Rose - Amy Ewing

Friday 15 April 2016

The White Rose - Amy Ewing



Began reading: 4.4.2016
Completed reading: 14.4.2016
Overall rating: 4 stars


On the run in the Lone City.
Enlisted by the Society of the Black Key.
Powerless to protect the people she loves.

Violet, Ash and Raven have escaped the Jewel, but nowhere will be safe until the royalty is destroyed.


If she can reach the White Rose, Violet may be able to rescue more surrogates. But for one surrogate it is already too late: Raven is pregnant, and that is a death sentence.


The White Rose by Amy Ewing is a young adult fiction novel with a combination of genres, such as dystopia, fantasy, romance and adventure. I purchased this book as I was reaching the end of The Jewel because I HAD to know why Garnet was on the other end of the arcana. I had high expectations from this book, as the first one was so good that I gave it 4.6 stars out of a possible 5. However, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, it wasn’t as great.

The novel was well-written and well-structured. I have to admit that while there were some great quotes, I was so focused on the plot that I only wrote down a few. They include:

‘She’ll pay for this,’ I say. ‘Raven, I promise.’
‘How, Violet? How are we supposed to do that? Look at me.’ She gestures weakly to herself. ‘I am broken now. And I’ll never be the same. I am damaged beyond repair.’
I sit up on my knees and look her straight in the eye. ‘Listen to me,’ I say. ‘You were there for me in Southgate when I was scared and when I was weak. You gave me courage. If you think I’m not going to do the exact same for you, then you’d better think again. You were with me every single day I was in that palace. You were my strength. Now let me be yours.’ I put my hand on her shoulder. ‘I’m going to help you get better. I’m going to protect you’ (p. 99).

I wish I could unzip my skin and show him the place inside me where Ash lives, tangled up in blood and bone and muscle, impossible to separate or remove. I want him to see that we are the same (p. 117).

‘Violet?’ Raven whispers.
‘Yes?’
‘Do you think that this place we’re going to in the Farm… do you think there’s someone who can fix me?’
The outline of her face is soft, almost blurred. I want to tell her she’s not broken. I want to tell her there must be a way to undo what the Countess did. But I can’t lie to her.
Her mouth pulls into a sad smile. ‘That’s what I thought’ (p. 130).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

Just like the previous novel, this book contained some emotional parts that had me tearing up. *WARNING: SPOILERS* For example, the book began with the death of Annabelle, which made me want to cry. Why did she have to die?! Similarly, when Raven was telling Violet about how broken she was and if someone could undo what the Countess did, it broke my heart.

There were also some suspenseful moments that had me holding my breath. I was waiting for someone to be captured, or for one of the main characters to be caught. It was scary when Raven had her miscarriage, as I thought she was going to die. I’m just glad she didn’t. Another suspenseful moment was the cliff-hanger at the end. Ewing sure does love her cliff-hangers! I can’t wait to get my hands on The Black Key!

                                                     

The secondary characters from the first novel made a bigger appearance in this book, which I’m grateful for. For example, the lioness enters the plot and we learn that her name is Sienna; Garnet plays a bigger role in the beginning of this book but later leaves, while Ochre also makes an appearance. I was able to gain a deeper understanding of these characters, in comparison to the previous book. I’m looking forward to reading more about the secondary characters in the next novel!

Everything was described in great detail, especially Violet’s surroundings. My favourite description was of The White Rose house — interior and exterior — as I was able to imagine it all in my head. I love when someone is described well enough to be pictured in my mind.

I also loved the plot, as it was interesting. There’s something about introducing new characters in a dystopian book that adds depth to the plot. I especially enjoyed the idea that each surrogate had their own particular power, the different coloured flowers that blossomed when they discovered their power, and had a different reaction when they found out.

I had two issues with this book, which made it less enjoyable compared to the previous book. Firstly, the book had no real complication. I was expecting something big to happen that would temporarily prevent Violet from attacking the royalty, but nothing happened. Secondly, the plot was slow-paced. After realising that nothing big was going to happen, I assumed that this book would be like a connection between the first and third books. I feel that it was just something to bridge the two books together, which disappoints me.

                        

My favourite character is still Violet, as she was determined, courageous, compassionate, sweet, charming and talented. She still put Raven before herself, proving that she’s still loyal to her best friend. Raven is my second favourite, and I’m glad that she’s starting to improve at The White Rose. I can’t wait to see her battle it out with the others in the next book!

I have to admit that I really ship Raven and Garnet together. I was hoping that these two would get together ever since they met! They would be SO PERFECT! I think my heart broke for her when he got married, though. I need to know if he and Raven will end up together. I really hope Ewing makes this happen! IT HAS TO HAPPEN!

                                                           

My favourite parts of the book include Ash’s visit to see Cinder and the recruitment of new surrogates. The visit to see Cinder was so emotional, and it was an insight into how close Ash and Cinder really were before they were separated. I liked the recruitment of the new surrogates because they had different reactions to being kidnapped, and we knew they each had a unique power, which made it all the more exciting.

Recommendation time! If you like The Handmaiden’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead, and The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes the Luxe series by Anna Godberson, Everlife series by Gena Showalter, and Ruined by Amy Tintera.

My review for The Jewel can be found by clicking on the title.

I will be reviewing the final book of the Lone City trilogy, The Black Key, when it becomes available. Keep an eye out for that!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment