Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins | The Basic Bookworm: Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins

Monday 5 September 2016

Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins



Began reading: 5.8.2016
Completed reading: 4.9.2016
Overall rating: 3.9 stars


The cafe is boiling. The atmosphere is clouded with bittersweet coffee. Three years of desire rip through my body and burst from my lips: "Josh!" His head jolts up. For a long time, a very long time, he just stares at me. And then... he blinks. "Isla?"

Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on brooding artist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And, after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer break, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to face uncertainty about their future, and the very real possibility of being apart.

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins is a contemporary young adult novel that contains romance. It took me a month to complete, but it had nothing to do with the story itself – uni has been crazy! I actually liked this book more than Lola and the Boy Next Door. There was a lot to love, but also a lot to dislike. Let’s get straight into it!

First of all, the book was very well-written. There were no spelling or grammatical errors, and it was well-structured. Best of all, the quotes were awesome:

Josh gestures towards my shelves. ‘You read a lot’.
‘Safer than going on a real adventure’ (p. 61).

‘You’ve crafted this bored veneer, but you’re always giving yourself away in moments like that. In the moments that really matter’ (p. 146).

I’ve always thought the best relationships are those that are as happy and content in silence as they are in action… (p. 172).

We hold hands, we don’t let go, but our grasp still feels like that. Like grasping. Like we’re trying to hold on to something that’s slipping away (p. 202).

‘I thought maybe I’d finally learn something if I could see myself through your eyes’ (p. 294).

Josh is a beautiful, messy, passionate work of art, and I’m… a blank canvas.
There’s nothing here to love (p. 299).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

The plot was interesting and adorable – I liked the idea of Isla meeting Josh in a coffee shop, and then watching their relationship progress (rather too quickly) during their time at school. There were plot twists added throughout the story, and a few of them were unpredictable which was great! I enjoyed reading about how Josh travelled to different places on the weekends, and later bringing Isla along with him. It sounds like every girl’s dream of a romance.

                   

In the previous book, I thought that Anna and Étienne’s presence was unnecessary. In this book, it was quite the opposite – every character seemed relevant to the plot, even though some could’ve made a bigger appearance. I was hoping Anna and Étienne should have made a greater presence, but I was glad that they were even included in the plot. Even Sanjita’s role seemed relevant in helping Isla build her relationship with Hattie. Because of this, I found myself liking the book even more!

Speaking of Anna and Étienne, THAT ENDING THO! Oh my gosh. I squealed! I always liked their relationship, but their insta-love kind of put me off. When I read this particular part in the book, I couldn’t help but feel happy for them! They are SO cute together! Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh!

Isla and Josh’s insta-love was unrealistic, which made me lose interest. It just happened too quickly, and the constant fights just made me feel frustrated. When Isla said that she was a placeholder, I felt that Perkins should have stuck with that, rather than putting them back together. It would have made the ending surprising and refreshing, but I’m not saying that I didn’t like the conclusion anyway. I thought the whole reunion in Paris was cute.

I didn’t like Isla as much as I had hoped I would. In the first book, I thought that he character had so much potential (I had no idea that she was obsessed with Josh!). Discovering that she was bordering on being a stalker creeped me out, and I lost hope in her. The creepiest part was:

‘Have you ever been in love?’
‘No.’ Yes. With you (p. 107).

I found her to relatable at times, which made her character tolerable. Some examples include:

‘I’ll call you back as soon as I can.’ And the line goes dead.
Like the sucker I am, I stay beside my phone all night hoping that soon means “soon” (pp. 255-256).

…the thought of another crowded train, another crowded town, all of those crowded hotels… ugh. No.
That’s how I’m feeling about everything these days: ugh. No (p. 317).

My favourite character was Josh Wasserstein, as he was talented, sweet, boyfriend material and patient. He put up with so much crap from Isla and her stupid insecurities, that he deserves an award. When they broke up after the Christmas party, I was secretly hoping that would be the end. I was disappointed when Josh pretty much had to beg to get Isla back.

As I mentioned before, I didn’t like Isla as much as I hoped I would. As well as the creepy factor, she was clingy, insecure, selfish and worst of all, HATES RABBITS.

                   

Enough said.

*WARNING: SPOILER* My favourite part of the book was when ÉTIENNE PROPOSED! I have no words, except oh my GOD!

                                

Recommendation time! If you like Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik, the Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison, and Looking For Alaska by John Green, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Wild Child, Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, LOL, and What A Girl Wants.

My reviews for Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door can be found by clicking on the titles.

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment