Ruined - Amy Tintera | The Basic Bookworm: Ruined - Amy Tintera

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Ruined - Amy Tintera



Began reading: 8.6.2016
Completed reading: 13.6.2016
Overall rating: 4.6 stars


Emelina Flores has nothing. Her home in Ruina has been ravaged by war, her parents killed and her sister kidnapped. Even though Em is only a useless Ruined - completely lacking any magic - she is determined to get revenge.

Her plan is simple. She will infiltrate the enemy's kingdom, posing as the crown prince's betrothed. She will lead an ambush. She will kill the king and everyone he holds dear, including his son.

The closer Em gets to the prince, though, the more she questions her mission. Her rage-filled heart begins to soften. But with her life - and her family - on the line, love could be Em's deadliest mistake.

Ruined by Amy Tintera is a fictional young adult novel that contains fantasy and romance. I’ve been looking forward to reading this book ever since it was introduced on Epic Reads, and I purchased it as soon as it appeared on the shelves of bookshops here. I just have one word: YES!

                        

First of all, there were ZERO errors, such as spelling and grammatical, in the book. I can’t stress how happy that made me feel! The novel was well-written, with the use of literary techniques. Every character and situation was described in great detail, which made me enjoy the plot a lot more. There were some really good quotes, including:

Her mother had always said that the only way to find peace was to kill everyone who threatened it (p. 7).

Make people fear you, Emelina. Her mother’s words echoed in her head. Stop worrying about what you don’t have and start focusing on what you do. Make people tremble when they hear your name. Fear is your power (p. 10).

He looked down at her to find her lips slowly curving up. It was the first genuine smile he’d seen from her, and by far his favorite. That smile held secrets he desperately wanted to know (p. 54).

‘Sympathy doesn’t mean much if you don’t take action’ (p. 71).

‘Always assume everyone is lying. Don’t trust anyone, except those closest to you. You have tendency to see the good in people, and I admire that, but it will destroy you. I promise you it will’ (p. 124).

His skin sparked and sizzled beneath her fingers. He was fire she could touch (p. 145).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

Usually, I prefer a plot that is not fast-paced, but moves at a reasonable speed. However, this plot was fast-paced, but it worked really well. It kept the novel interesting, and I felt thoroughly immersed. There were a few times when I was so intrigued by the book that I forgot I was even reading – before I knew it, I had read 100+ pages. This was one of the main reasons why I liked this book so much!

I found the plot to be really interesting, which links to the previous paragraph. It was similar to other novels, such as Sarah J. Maas’ Throne of Glass series, but I much rather this single novel over the other series’. It contained a lot of elements that interested me more than the other books, which was why I adore this novel.

It was emotional at times, which were successful in making me teary and hitting me right in the feels. The death of a particular character was pretty damn close in bringing me to tears, so I must commend Tintera. I like a book that can tug at the readers’ heartstrings. I was just so attached to all of the characters that I ended up catching all the feels!

                       

From the book’s blurb, I assumed that there would be quite a bit of romance, but I was pleasantly surprised. There was a good amount of romance, which is always a great thing. I’m not a fan of all that mushy, fluffy stuff but this book had none of it. There were moments that made me say ‘awww’, but none of the romantic moments were over the top. I really, really, really liked that!

There were some really good plot twists scattered throughout the novel that kept me on my toes. For example, the very first chapter was full of dramatic twists and turns that started the plot with a bang. After that, the twists just got better and better! Even towards the end of the book, the plot twists kept coming and I had to hold my breath so many times! It was incredible!

My favourite character was Emelina Flores, as she was a badass, sassy, talented and deadly. I just couldn’t get enough of her character! It helped that she played a vengeful assassin – I just really like female protagonists that are sassy and dangerous. Cas is a notable character, as he turns out to be the perfect prince (and possible boyfriend…?). I don’t blame Em for falling for him – in my mind, he’s gorgeous!

                                 

I really loved the way Fabiana and Olivia were portrayed, which was interesting to see. I loved how Fabiana was outspoken and was protective of her son. *WARNING: SPOILER* It was a shame that she abandoned him towards the end, but it made the plot a lot juicier. As for Olivia, I expected her to be a quiet girl, especially since she had been tortured by the king. When she escaped, she turned out to be an outraged, hard-hearted, bloodthirsty queen who was very protective of Em. It made the characters a lot more fascinating. I LOVED IT!

To be honest, I loved the entire book: from start to finish, but if I had to pick a particular part as the standout, I’d choose Em’s time in the palace. It was where she was able to undertake espionage, and get close to the royal family. I loved how she could play Princess Mary and deceive the entire royal family. It was also where she developed feelings for Cas, and it was great to see how she fulfilled her role while trying to ignore these feelings.

Recommendation time! if you like the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard, and The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda Salisbury, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Kill Bill, Kill Bill 2, The Assassin and Hanna.

I will be reviewing the rest of the series when the books become available. Keep an eye out for that!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment