Soundless - Richelle Mead | The Basic Bookworm: Soundless - Richelle Mead

Saturday 30 January 2016

Soundless - Richelle Mead



Began reading: 23.1.2016
Completed reading: 28.1.2016
Overall rating: 3.8 stars

In a village without sound…



For as long as Fei can remember, no one in her village has been able to hear. Rocky terrain and frequent avalanches make it impossible to leave the village, so Fei and her people are at the mercy of a zipline that carries food up the treacherous cliffs from Beiguo, a mysterious faraway kingdom. 


When villagers begin to lose their sight, deliveries from the zipline shrink. Many go hungry. Fei and all the people she loves are plunged into crisis, with nothing to look forward to but darkness and starvation.


One girl hears a call to action…

Until one night, Fei is awoken by a searing noise. Sound becomes her weapon.

She sets out to uncover what’s happened to her and to fight the dangers threatening her village. A handsome miner with a revolutionary spirit accompanies Fei on her quest, bringing with him new risks and the possibility of romance. They embark on a majestic journey from the peak of their jagged mountain village to the valley of Beiguo, where a startling truth will change their lives forever…

And unlocks a power that will save her people.



Soundless by Richelle Mead is a young adult novel that consists of genres including fantasy, romance and historical fiction. I did not purchase this book immediately, as I was sceptical about how Asian culture would be portrayed. Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I had hoped.

The book was well-written and contained great detail. I really liked that almost everything was described in detail. For example, the view from the mountain’s cliff, and the broken bowl in the Red Myrtle Inn. Also, there were some great quotes. For example:

Some things don’t need words… (p. 82).

We need to know how to describe the world. Otherwise we’d fall into ignorance (p. 82).

Elder Lian has lectured us many times on proper behaviour between boys and girls, darkly warning of how ‘dangerous feelings’ can arise. I’m not that worried about any feelings arising, though. They’re already here, no matter how I try to suppress them (p. 92).

You shouldn’t marry because of someone else’s wishes — because it’s a wise match. You should marry someone who loves you. Someone who loves you passionately and would change the world for you (p. 113).

Moving me up the line at such a fast speed is no small feat, especially after all the work we did climbing down. But there is a relentless air about Li Wei as he turns, a determination that tells me I have nothing to fear so long as my fate is in his hands. He will guide me up to the top of the mountain, no matter the cost to him. His resolve wraps around me, securing me more than any rope could (p. 185).

I’m hanging here in the darkness, suspended between heaven and earth with nothing propelling me forward anymore (p. 187).

We’re pretty good at the impossible (p. 215).

Perfection is an admirable thing to strive for. But so is knowing when to stop (p. 261).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

I really enjoyed the character development throughout the novel. It was slow-paced, but I believe that it made the characters realistic. It was not rushed, which was great. Before I had completed the novel, I thought that the development was dull, due to its pace; however, after completing it, I believe it was well-paced.

I thought the plot was unique,  as it dealt with hearing and sight impairments. This stood out for me, and made the plot a lot more interesting. I found the lack of verbal dialogue made the story a bit tedious, but again, I thought the uniqueness of it made it all the more notable.

Similarly, I enjoyed the interaction between the main characters and the secondary characters. At first, I thought that the secondary characters would be introduced then quickly forgotten as the story progressed. I was surprised when the secondary characters were brought back into the plot towards the end of the book. I liked that the epilogue provided closure, explaining what happens to the main characters as well as the secondary characters.

                                             

As I mentioned previously, I was adamant about reading this book, as I was worried about how Asian culture would be depicted. I feel that I was right to be adamant, and I’m disappointed. In the Acknowledgements section, Mead claims to have conducted thorough research on “language acquisition and hearing loss”, as well as seek information from others regarding the “Mandarin language and the cultures of Taiwan and China”. In the novel, this research did not seem to be incorporated. There was very little about Asian culture, and at times, I forgot that the story was even taking place in Asia. I was expecting more from the acclaimed author of the Vampire Academy series. To say that I’m dissatisfied would be an understatement.

                     

My favourite character from the novel is Fei. I found her to be compassionate, headstrong, adventurous and creative. Her development in the book was slow, but it made her more relatable. I also thought that Zhang Jing’s character was relatable, as she was obedient, responsible and loyal to Fei. I only wish that she had a bigger presence in the novel.

I thought that the relationship between Fei and Li Wei was adorable, especially as he called her ‘general’. A cute example is after he shares his opinion about entering the township:

…Well, that’s what I think, at least. But I’m only the advisor.
I give a faint smile at the joke of referring to himself as xiangqi’s second most powerful piece… (p. 122).

I think they are just so cute together. I was glad that Mead didn’t rush their relationship, as some authors tend to do. I found this quote to be adorable too:

Goodbye, Fei, he says when he straightens back up again. Save our peopleand don’t forget about me.
Tears threaten me. I release the line long enough to sign, There will never be another name on my heart (p. 184).

                                     

My favourite parts of the novel include Fei’s time at the Peacock Court and the Red Myrtle Inn. These places were described in immense detail, and highlighted the relationships that Fei had with the people in those places.


Recommendation time! If you like The Courtesan and The Samurai and The Last Concubine by Lesley Downer, and The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Memoirs of a Geisha and Shu Shan Zheng Zhuan.

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment