Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas | The Basic Bookworm: Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas

Friday 27 November 2015

Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas



Began reading: 13.11.2015
Completed reading: 24.11.2015
Overall rating: 3.9 stars


Consumed by guilt and rage, Celaena can't bring herself to spill blood for the King of Adarlan. She must fight back...

The Immortal Queen will help her destroy the king - for a price. But as Celaena battles with her darkest memories and her heart breaks for a love that could never last, can she fulfil the bargain and head the almighty court of Terrasen? And who will stand with her?

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas is the third novel in the Throne of Glass series, which combines fantasy and romance to create a fascinating, action-packed young adult book. Overall, I think that this series just gets better and better!

The story was well-written and told in great detail; however, there were a few spelling and grammatical errors. Aside from that, there were some great quotes. Here are some examples:

‘The people you love are just weapons that will be used against you’ (p. 162).

He ripped his cold magic from the air and turned it inward, wrapping it around his heart (p. 195).

Maybe there could be no future, no hope of anything more, but just looking at him standing there, in this moment, she wanted to be selfish and stupid and wild.
It could all go to hell tomorrow, but she had to know what it was like, just for a little while, to belong to someone, to be wanted and cherished (p. 249).

‘You are the keeper of your own fate’ (p. 286).

                   

I absolutely loved the plot, especially the various relationships that develop. For example, I loved that Dorian had begun to move on from Celaena. I enjoyed how he opened up to another person (I won’t reveal who!), but it was sad that he had to keep it a secret. It was tragic, especially since the relationship didn’t last very long, but I still enjoyed reading about it. I should’ve accepted the fact that he and Celaena would never be together before I started this book, but oh well… I hope Dorian finds love and happiness in the final book!

                 

Speaking of Dorian’s relationship with another character, the plot twists towards the end were just so tragic! I like how staggering plot twists are part of Sarah J. Maas’ work. I’m still reeling from the major plot twist in The Assassin’s Blade! These plot twists are always effective, and assist with adding a certain depth to the narrative. I wonder what plot twists will be present in Queen of Shadows!

I felt that the story was a bit slow-paced. I’m not sure why, but it felt as though all the dramatic events and interesting details occurred towards the end of the book. To be honest, you could read the first few chapters then skip to the last few, and you wouldn’t be missing much. Similarly, I felt that it was a bit dull. As much as I loved reading about Celaena’s adventures, the matter of the Wyrdkeys felt as though it was dragged out and dull. Aside from this, I enjoyed the novel immensely.

As always, Celaena remains as my favourite character in the series; however, Manon Blackbeak is slowly starting to replace her. Manon is very similar to Celaena — independent, badass and somewhat considerate. I can’t wait to see if Manon and Celaena will interact and if they will get along!

I enjoy reading about the relationship between Celaena and Rowan; however, this whole ‘tough love’ thing ruins it a bit. There is one part of the book where Rowan and Celaena have an argument, and what he says is really hurtful.

Rowan paused his stalking. ‘You’re worthless.’
‘Tell me something I don’t know.’
He went on, ‘You would probably have been more useful to the world if you’d actually died ten years ago’ (p. 163).

I understand that hurtful things are said during an argument, but this seemed uncalled for. I felt really bad for Celaena, and thoroughly disappointed with Rowan.

                     

My favourite parts of the book include Celaena’s flashbacks, as well as her training with Rowan. I really enjoyed having an insight into Celaena’s childhood, and knowing how close she was to Aedion. The story of why she fled and ended up in Rifthold was so emotional. I also enjoyed reading about Manon, her coven and her wyvern, Abraxos.

The highlight of the book is the comebacks from Aedion and Celaena. For example, Aedion’s conversation with Ren:

Aedion swung his legs back onto the roof and stood. ‘All I want,’ he snarled, ‘is for my people to be free and my queen restored to her throne.’
‘They burned the antler throne, Aedion. There is no throne for her.’
‘Then I’ll build one myself from the bones of our enemies.’ (p. 312).



Also, Celaena’s conversation with Queen Maeve:
‘One thought from me, and your city will burn.’
‘It is stone,’ Maeve snapped.
Celaena smiled. ‘Your people aren’t’ (p. 509).

                                       

Recommendation time! If you like Hanna, The Assassin, The Last Airbender, Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis, The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, and the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling.

My reviews for The Assassins Blade, Throne of Glass, and Crown of Midnight can be found by clicking on the titles.

I will also be reviewing the final book of the Throne of Glass series: Queen of Shadows. Keep an eye out for that!

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment