Sorceress - Claudia Gray | The Basic Bookworm: Sorceress - Claudia Gray

Sunday 31 May 2015

Sorceress - Claudia Gray



Began reading: 22.5.2015
Completed reading: 30.5.2015
Overall rating: 3.5 stars


The One Beneath finally has Nadia in His grasp, with Elizabeth as Nadia’s teacher. Elizabeth’s plans to bring the One Beneath to the mortal world have begun to take effect — with heavy downpours causing dangerous floods. In order to save the locals of Captive’s Sound, Nadia must feign loyalty to Elizabeth and the One Beneath; but she can feel the dark magic beginning to overwhelm her. Abandoning everyone she loves, Nadia is faced with temptations regarding the powers she could gain from becoming a Sorceress. Conflicting emotions torment Verlaine whenever she is with Asa; does he truly care for her, or is it just a ruse? It is up to Nadia and her friends to struggle against temptations; will Team Not Evil triumph over evil, or will the darkness overshadow the goodness in Nadia and her friends forever?

Sorceress by Claudia Gray is the third and final book in the Spellcaster series. Just like the first two novels, it is a young adult novel that contains fantasy and paranormal themes, with a hint of romance. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this novel as much as Spellcaster and Steadfast; however, there were still some aspects of this book that I liked.

Firstly, there was good use of humour and sarcasm, which made the story a lot more entertaining. For example, in a serious moment: “Verlaine jotted in her notebook, The meeting came to a standstill for a romantic interlude” (p. 271). I would have liked the series a lot more if there was further use of humour and sarcasm.

                                          

The ending of the book was bitter-sweet, which I loved. I was so glad when Verlaine got her happy ending — she really deserved it. On the downside, the ending seemed rushed, which was obvious in the various spelling mistakes. I was really disappointed with how the series ended. It was just a letdown, especially after the heightened interest from Steadfast.

 

The final battle in the book was something I was looking forward to. Throughout the series, the final battle with Elizabeth and the One Beneath was something I really anticipated. Unfortunately, it was confusing, anticlimactic and utterly boring. It was rushed, and nothing really happened. *WARNING: SPOILER* Basically, Nadia goes into hell and stabs the One Beneath. It was just so simple. If it was that simple all along, why didn’t it happen sooner? It was just really disappointing.

                   

The entire plot lacked enthusiasm and I found it difficult to stay interested. The fact that this was the final book of the series is the main reason that kept me reading. Sorceress would have to be the book that I enjoyed least out of the entire series. I wasn’t even able to take many notes because I was just so confused and lost.

                   

The relationship between Verlaine and Asa was the best part of the book. I just couldn’t stop reading about them! They are so adorable and they became my favourite couple in the series. They were so dedicated to each other! “Asa had gone to hell for her; she would do the same for him” (p. 269).

                                                       

I was also happy that Verlaine made a more prominent role in this novel. As I said before, I just really loved reading about her and Asa! Their relationship was an emotional rollercoaster: they had to try to kill each other, but couldn’t. It can’t get any more emotionally conflicting than that.

                                       

I didn’t enjoy reading about Nadia’s relationship with Mateo in this novel. It felt all over the place and confusing. *WARNING: SPOILER* However, I did enjoy reading about the oaths that Nadia and Mateo made to the One Beneath. That was interesting, and quite the plot twist!

                 

Time for recommendations! If you like “Beautiful Creatures” by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, then you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes “Witches of East End” by Melissa de la Cruz.

I suggest reading the first novella before this novel, The First Midnight. It will provide more background information about how Elizabeth turned into the villain. I also recommend reading the first and second books, Spellcaster and Steadfast, in the Spellcaster series. You can see my reviews for these novels by clicking on the titles.

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Basic-Bookworm/659139380862740
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment