Anything to Have You - Paige Harbison | The Basic Bookworm: Anything to Have You - Paige Harbison

Sunday 15 March 2015

Anything to Have You - Paige Harbison



Began reading: 10.3.2015
Completed reading: 14.3.2015
Overall rating: 3 stars

Natalie and Brooke have been best friends forever. They are total opposites: Natalie is quiet and introverted, while Brooke is outgoing and popular. The world that Natalie and Brooke know is turned upside down one night at a party, forcing the girls to overcome secrets, betrayals and lies to keep their friendship together. The situation is worsened by the fact that Natalie cannot remember what happened to her, or why she woke up the following morning next to Aiden, Brooke’s long-term boyfriend. As their senior year comes to an end, the repercussions of that fateful night threaten to tear the girls apart.

Anything to Have You is a novel that explores how stressful friendships can be, combined with the difficulties and typical arguments that occur during the final year of high school.
I bought this book a while ago, and this is the second time I have read it. Unfortunately, I had pretty much the same reaction to the plot as I did the first time around. It just didn’t keep me interested for very long. The title itself suggests a romance novel; however, I found very little of the story containing any real romance.

                        

Personally, the plot had great potential, but the story was full of clichés including drinking, drugs, typical ‘bad boys’ and sex. Another big cliché was when Natalie’s class was paired off for their final assessments, and she ended up with Aiden.

When she got down the list to Aiden’s name, I found myself almost knowing what was coming. "Natalie Shepherds" (p. 91).

                         

Another issue for me was how unrealistic some characters and situations were. For example, Natalie’s dad: why would he let his only daughter spend a night at a party, and not expect her to get drunk, especially since he knows that Brooke likes parties and boys. *WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER* Another unrealistic situation is when Natalie thinks that it’s ok to stop taking contraception, even though she should have, especially after the party.

I did like how Harbison provided me with Natalie’s and Brooke’s points of view. For example, the book provides readers with Natalie’s version of the party first. As the story continues, Harbison provides readers with Brooke’s version of the party. I thought that this was a great idea because it provides readers with two perspectives, instead of one, giving each girl the opportunity to tell their side of the story, and what goes on when the other girl isn’t around.

                   

I didn’t really have a favourite character this time around. The first time I read the book, Natalie was my favourite because she seemed so relatable.

When I talked to people, I felt like I could never think of the right response or anything clever to say. I was fine with people I really knew… But with strangers or acquaintances, I was a mess (p. 30).

However, I realised as I read it this time, that she seemed somewhat stupid. Aiden had started spending more time alone with her, and she thought it was strange, yet she didn’t question him. She obviously knew that he was in a relationship with Brooke, so why doesn’t she tell him that it’s weird for them to spend time together? She even thought to herself,

What was going on with him? It seemed strange that he was trying to hang out with me alone. He’d never done this, really… I knew that him wanting to hang out with me like this was suspicious and unusual (pp. 111-112).

     

Natalie also comes across as mean and ungrateful, so I’d scratch her off my friend list. This scene was sweet, but Natalie just ruined it:

*Eric gives Natalie a bouquet of roses* “Thank you so much,” I said, making sure to smile broadly. According to the faces of every nearby girl, Eric had just done something wonderful. He was a dream of a boy. And all I could think was, What a stupid gesture (p. 105).

       

Brooke was definitely NOT my favourite. She was such an immature, attention-seeking brat! If she was my best friend, I’d probably punch her in the face. I’m just glad that she sorted herself out in the end. My favourite quote from her is:

Love is the one thing that, no matter how much you want it, if it’s not there, there is nothing you can do to get it. No measure of hard work, begging, crying, wanting or needing; nothing in the world can make love happen out of nothing (p. 245).

*faints*

       

I would also punch Aiden, Natalie’s dad and Reed in the face, so they are definitely not my favourite characters. I think Eric and Marcy are the most realistic and nicest characters in the book, so I think they are my favourites.

If you like young adult fiction and romance, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Love, Rosie and The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment