The Winner's Kiss - Marie Rutkoski | The Basic Bookworm: The Winner's Kiss - Marie Rutkoski

Monday 2 May 2016

The Winner's Kiss - Marie Rutkoski



Began reading: 14.4.2016
Completed reading: 1.5.2016
Overall rating: 4 stars


Wishes don't win wars.

The empire is at war and a heartbroken Arin leads his people to battle. But he can't forget Kestrel - or how she's betrayed him. Kestrel is a sly, ruthless killer, caring more for the glory of the empire than for the lives of innocent people - and certainly more than for him.

At least, that's what he thinks.

In the frozen north, Kestrel is sentenced to life imprisonment in a brutal war camp. As she searches desperately for an escape, she wishes Arin could know what she sacrificed for him. She wishes she could make the empire pay for what they've done to her.

But no one gets what they want just by wishing.

The Winner’s Kiss by Marie Rutkoski is the third and final book in the Winner’s Curse trilogy. It is a fiction novel made up of genres including fantasy, young adult, romance and historical fiction. I was so excited when I saw it in the bookstore, so I bought it immediately. It took me a while to read because of assessments at university, but it was worth the wait.

The novel, as expected, was well-written. Everything was described in great depth, and aided with the use of literary techniques such as metaphors and imagery. There were some great quotes throughout the book that I will share. These include:

…there was a part of her that reached for Verex in her mind. She embraced her friend. She thanked him. She dropped her head to his shoulder, breathing deeply. She was strong now, she told him. She could do this. She could do it because she knew that she hadn’t been forgotten (p. 37).

She said, ‘Why do you think it’s wrong to mourn her?’
‘Sarsine.’ His voice was tight. ‘If you love me, you’ll leave.’
‘Answer me first.’
The words shot out of him. ‘Because she wasn’t who I thought she was. You can’t mourn someone you didn’t know’ (p. 77).

‘Kindness isn’t good in a master. Not to me. It’s another way of making you beg. You become grateful for it. When I was a child I was so grateful for it. Then I grew, and I almost preferred cruelty because it was closer to the truth, and no one hid behind the lie of being nice’ (p. 167).

‘Sometimes a truth squeezes you so tightly you can’t breathe’ (p. 167).

Nothing in dreams can hurt you, her father had said — which was another way of saying that life can (p. 342).

‘I tried so hard to live in your world,’ she told him. ‘Now it’s your turn to live in mine’ (p. 465).

More quotes from the book can be found here.

The first few chapters were frustrating in a good way. Kestrel would be so close to escaping the camp, only to be caught. Likewise, Arin would be close to guessing who the Moth was, only to be distracted. I have to admit, there were times when I wanted to yell at the book, like “COME ON, ARIN!” Unfortunately, yelling at a book in a public place would be frowned upon.

                       


In comparison to the previous two books, the romance in this novel was more mature. I liked it, but being single, I couldn’t really relate. Anyway, it didn’t feel rushed, yet I’d be wondering when they would get together. I low key fangirled when they kissed and… stuff *wink wink*. The progression in their relationship made everything work. I think both characters seemed to work more smoothly after they confessed their feelings for each other.

I loved that the secondary characters made more of an appearance in this book. I was hoping that Sarsine and Risha would make a bigger appearance because I wanted to know more about their character. I was glad that they were there. I also came to like Roshar in this novel, as he had so many witty jokes that made me chuckle. I also couldn’t get enough of his bromance with Arin. They were so adorable! I particularly loved this part:

‘How do I look in the dark?’
Startled, Arin glanced at him. The question had had no edges. It wasn’t sleek either. Its soft, uncertain shape suggested that Roshar truly wanted to know. In the fired red shadows, his limbs looked lax and his mutilated face met Arin’s squarely. The heavy feeling that Arin carried — that specific sadness, nestled just below his collarbone, like a pendant — lessened. He said, ‘Like my friend’ (p. 229).

                                           

I only had two issues with the plot. First, I thought that the battle scenes in the first few chapters were confusing. I’m not too sure why, but I just didn’t really get into it. It was a bit dull for me, but I suppose that it’s because I’m not really into war and battles. I found myself wishing for Arin’s perspective to end and Kestrel’s to begin.

Second, I found it difficult to discern between Arin’s and Kestrel’s voices at times. I would be reading from Arin’s perspective, then it would abruptly change to Kestrel’s. I think it’s because I’m used to one chapter being wholly dedicated to one character’s perspective. I don’t think that rule applied to this book, so I would be left confused at times.

My favourite character remains to be Kestrel, as she’s still that strong, fierce, manipulative girl from the first book. She has changed in this novel, which adds to her appeal, as she’s become a little more considerate. I also have to include Roshar, Risha and Sarsine in this list, as they proved to be interesting characters.

I am still unsure about the queen. Can she be trusted? Does she still have feelings for Arin? I was hoping that she and Kestrel would face off over Arin, but sadly it didn’t happen. Similarly, I wondered why they didn’t kill General Trajan. I know that it was Kestrel’s choice, but she had wanted this. His death would have been more interesting.

My favourite parts were when Kestrel was reunited with Verex, and the Emperor’s death. I liked the reunion because it demonstrates how close Kestrel and Verex are, despite their opposing sides in the battles. I loved the way Kestrel had killed the Emperor. It was so sneaky and unexpected! I LOVED IT!

                                                   

Recommendation time! If you like Ruined by Amy Tintera, the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen, and the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes the Matched series by Ally Condie, and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

My review for The Winner’s Curse and The Winner’s Crime can be found by clicking on the titles.

Happy reading!


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment