The Hidden Twin - Adi Rule | The Basic Bookworm: The Hidden Twin - Adi Rule

Saturday 27 May 2017

The Hidden Twin - Adi Rule



Began reading: 18.5.2017
Completed reading: 21.5.2017
Overall rating: 4 stars


For eighteen years a girl with no name, a Redwing, has been hidden away in a small attic room within a city of hissing pipes and curving temples perched on the side of the great volcano, Mol, while her sister, Jey - identical except for her eyes - has lived her life in public as an only child. Their father had hoped the hidden girl would one day grow up to be a normal human girl and not the wicked creature mythology has promised, so he secretly spared her life as an infant.

But when she switches places with her sister, striking up a flirtation with the son of the Empress while working in the royal gardens, and is attacked by two suspicious priests on her journey home, she is forced to call forth fire to protect herself, unleashing her previously dormant powers and letting her secret out. She soon catches the attention of a cult with a one-thousand-year-old grudge, as well as a group of underground rebels, both seeking her for their own gain. When her sister goes missing and the Redwing uncovers a great plot to awaken Mol and bring fiery destruction upon them all, she is forced to embrace her powers.

The Hidden Twin by Adi Rule is a fictional young adult novel that contains elements of fantasy and the gothic (more steampunk than gothic). I spotted this book at the library and got so excited because it was a stand-alone. The blurb really cemented my interest in the novel, and I was dying to get into it! I was satisfied with it, but there were some things that I found to be disappointing.

An unnamed girl, known as a Redwing, and her twin sister Jey have lived together for eighteen years, but the twins’ appearance is the only thing they have in common – the mysterious sister has a secret power that could have her entire family placed in danger: she possesses the ability to start and control fires. She has been hidden for so long in the hope that she will not pose a threat to society once she has matured and learned to control her powers. One day, the Redwing is attacked by two priests and accidentally reveals her power. Her life begins to change when her sister Jey asks to visit the Empress’ palace and do her gardening for a day – the Redwing attracts the attention of the Empress’ son, and a rebel group that expects her to save everyone from the devastation that the nearby volcano brings. While the Redwing tries to find her place in society, she must also decide who she can trust – but that’s easier said than done when revealing her powers to the wrong person could mean death for her and her loved ones.

The book was well-written, especially in regard to detail. The novel was well-paced and well-structured, too. Rule’s use of literary techniques definitely assisted with adding detail to the plot, particularly through the utilisation of tone, similes and conflict. There were also some great quotes, including:

I don’t know which excites me more, being acknowledged as though I were a common person, or being ignored for the same reason (p. 39).

They see reality for what it is, not what they want it to be (p. 86).

It would be an interesting scientific exploration to study what it is people think about as they’re falling to their deaths. Some, I imagine, try a last-minute bargain with the gods. Some might spout expletives all the way down. And some might know relief for the first time in their miserable lives (p. 109).

The plot is obviously an extremely important aspect of any novel, and I believe that it should be unique and interesting. This was the case with the book, as I found that it stood out amongst the other texts that I have read. I hadn’t come across such creative world-building in a while, and I loved the steampunk elements (especially the artificial waterfall). Many fantasy novels that I have read recently seem very similar in relation to their plots and it was becoming repetitive. Another thing that I liked about the plot was how the priests were perceived to be omniscient (wise, all-knowing), when they were really just self-centred. This book did an awesome job with crafting an innovative and distinctive plot, which has contributed to its overall rating.

                              

Characters, just like the plot, are significant to the book, as they have the ability to challenge readers’ thinking and ignite curiosity, and create a relationship with the novel’s audience. When a novel has numerous characters, it makes it easier for readers to identify with them, and incorporates a sense of diversity. This book had a range of characters for me to learn more about, and I never grew bored of them. They were also unpredictable because the Redwing couldn’t trust anyone with her secret without risking her life. It added suspense, which was a good thing because it made everything all the more complex. I applaud Rule for her employment of various characters, allowing me to identify myself with some and having a love-to-hate relationship with others.

A good plot twist will leave a mark on readers, allowing them to reflect on the book and think, ‘Wow’. It should be memorable and satisfy readers. Sometimes, these twists aren’t done properly and they’ve left me feeling confused and frustrated. Of course, this was not an issue for this book, as I found the revelations to be unpredictable in a good way. I was left reeling by some of the characters because they revealed their true selves when the Redwing needed them the most. I love a good plot twist, which is another reason why I gave this book such a high rating.

Now, let’s discuss some elements of the book that left me disappointed. A well-planned climax is important, as it is what the plot has been leading up to. It needs to be surprising, suspenseful, and is inevitable. Unfortunately for this novel, the ‘final battle’ scene was confusing. I couldn’t really decipher if it had been thoroughly planned out or if it was a rush job – either way, I wasn’t a fan. I felt like it needed a bigger climax, like one massive shock for us readers. The one in the book was rather vague and predictable, so I was disappointed.

                     

Another disheartening point I need to make is lack of answered questions. A conclusion, or the led up to it, should provide readers with answers and closure – especially if the book is a stand-alone. I was left with so many unanswered questions, which was not a good thing. The questions revolved around romantic interests, the circumstances of characters, and relationships that weren’t fully explained. I wonder if Strange Sweet Song has a better developed conclusion… I hope so!

My favourite character is the Redwing, as she was loyal, protective, curious and sarcastic. There was something about her remaining unnamed – I think it kept her mysterious, but whatever it was I liked!

                     

On another note, I was incredibly disappointed with Jey. I thought she knew about the Redwing’s secret? Anyway, she was brainwashed by the priests but she knows that she shouldn’t fear her sister. I thought that her behaviour was un-sisterly and a sad betrayal. Jey shouldn’t have abandoned her sister, but I guess it made for a unique ending.

My favourite part of the book is when the Redwing covered/switched with Jey because she got to work at the Copper Palace. Readers were given insight into how things were on the other side of the jade bridge. I liked the idea of the Empress’ son disguising himself as a gardener because it was a cute way for him and the Redwing to meet. I also enjoyed the idea of the Empress being overprotective of her garden.

Recommendation time! If you like The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid, Daughters of Ruin by K.D. Castner, Dark Breaks the Dawn by Sara B. Larson, and Ruined by Amy Tintera, you will love this book. Also, I recommend this book to anyone who likes Frozen, Firestarter, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Beautiful Creatures, and I Am Number Four.

Happy reading!

Buy the book


Like and follow!
Instagram: @thebasicbookworm 
Twitter: @BasicBookworm

No comments :

Post a Comment